SE Goes to the Friendly Frontier to Show

Goe Family

Reiner Goe setting up his sheep.

Lexi Anchondo, Writer

The yearly West Texas Fair, held in Abilene, is a chance to show progression and hard work. Sophomore Braileigh and freshman Reiner Goe are the only two from Springlake-Earth to take this opportunity and show their animals.  

Reiner participated with his sister on September 3rd. He showed one black (a medium wool sheep) and one cross (a fine wool sheep). His weight groups consisted of 109 pounds for the cross, and 96 pounds for the medium wool. 

“I didn’t place. I got pulled on a walk,” R. Goe said. “If anything, I would feed the lamb differently.” 

Braileigh had slightly better results for her showing. Her weight groups were substantially smaller, with her cross being 86 pounds and her black being 109. 

“I got 3rd in Ring A with my cross and 2nd in Ring B but no good with my black,” B. Goe said. 

Braileigh Goe showing her sheep. (Goe Family)

In a stock show, participants do something called a jackpot. There are two rings where you show the same animals twice in one day for two different scores. 

For the fair, parents Kayla and Matt Goe, accompanied them, both with experience in showing animals.  

“They did very well; they had a very good day,” K. Goe said. “The sheep could have done better, but we did great with what we had.” 

Overall, both Braileigh and Reiner did a fantastic job and are looking forward to the South Plains Fair in Lubbock on September 30th.
“I’m looking forward to it,” B. Goe said. “We will do better next time around.”