Teacher Spotlight: Daniel and Christy Barber

Sam Alderson, Writer

Over the past three years, SEHS has been blessed to have two band directors that devote all of their time, energy, and love into the band program. Many students excel and have opportunities to play instruments that they love, something many are beyond grateful for. This love and devotion is best evident through the Barbers.

Daniel and Christy Barber are the directors for the high school, junior high, 7th, 6th, and 5th grade bands. 

“We really love this band,” Mr. Barber said. “We were really blessed to have these great players for three years.”

While here, the Barbers took the high school band to state marching competition not once, but twice. 

“It was really great to get to go to state with them. I had a lot of fun, and it was nice to see all our hard work payoff,” drum major Katie Clayton said. 

While going to state in marching was a huge accomplishment, to make it better, they also took the band to state in concert and several ensemble teams. 

“Going to state ensemble was just icing on the cake at that point,” senior drum major Joshua Samaron said. 

Going to concert was no surprise for the band, especially with Mr. Barber as the head director. 

“His greatest strength is really concert; he’s good at marching, but where he really shines is concert,” Mrs. Barber said.

As the year ends, the Barbers and our band can surely look back on an amazing three years. Sadly, the Barbers will not be joining us for another year at SEHS, but the entire wolverine nation is grateful for all that they have given and offered the band program. They will be great to whatever school they go to next.

“Its really been great; I can’t wait to see what the following years have for us,” Clayton Said.