Senior Spotlight: Dereck Rosalez

Annabelle Anchondo, Editor

In a few short days, the SEHS community will being saying farewell to the class of 2023 as they walk the stage and receive their high school diplomas. With the ending of such an era, many of the young men and women within the senior class are going to be missed due to the impact they have had in their time at SE. Senior Dereck Rosalez is no exception.

Dereck Lorenzo Rosalez is the oldest son of Lorenzo and Yessenia Rosalez and brother to Natalie, Matthew, and Gabriel. After graduation, he has intentions of pursuing a career as a welder in Carlsbad, New Mexico and earning a salary he can be proud of. In his time at Springlake-Earth, Dereck has participated in a variety of extracurricular activities, including ag, football, basketball, and track. The most unforgettable, however, was football. In fact, football was the dream for Dereck growing up.

“I wanted to become a NFL star and play in the Superbowl,” Rosalez said. “I wanted to play in the NFL as a wide receiver for the Denver Broncos because they have always been my favorite team, and I love football.”

For him, the game of football was more than the touchdowns, Friday night lights, and practices. While he enjoyed these aspects, there was a freeing sense of being on the field, unlike anything else he had ever had.

Football means so much to me because it clears my mind and is my place to let off steam,” Rosalez said. “Playing football showed me when the going gets tough, the tough get going.”

Watching him envelop himself in love for the game will always be something special to witness.

Dereck’s favorite memories from high school were found in those games with his friends and teammates, one night holding a very special place. On that particular night, he saved the game for him and his teammates against Nazareth, and through his efforts, the Wolverines were able to get back in the game.

“Just the feeling of knowing I helped my team the way I could and us celebrating it made me feel like I was on top of the world,” Rosalez said.

Dereck had many successes in his football career, including making All-State as a junior. Like this, many of his most prized accomplishments were found in football. However, his senior year brought about a new career that peeked his interest and ultimately gained his full pursuit.

As time came closer to graduation I chose to become a welder,” Rosalez said. “What inspired me was welding in ag class and knowing how much money I could make.”

While he’ll miss playing football with the homies, Dereck is excited to start the next chapter of his life.

“I’m very excited to graduate. I’m most excited to start my job,” Rosalez said. “I see myself being really successful, having my own house, my own truck, and welding company.”

As he prepares to leave SEHS behind and seek his own successes, Dereck is reflecting upon those that helped him to get to this moment in his life. For the individuals that helped him the most in life, he is most thankful for them.

Kani, Lupe, Juanita, my parents, and my cousin Marky all helped me in their own ways. Like Kani, she motivated me to keep going every day even when things were hard. Lupe and Juanita pushed me to be the best I could be. My parents gave me everything I ever wanted even when I didn’t ask for it. Marky would be on me for every little thing from football to work.”

These same people are proud of the person Dereck has become and is excited to watch him take advantages of opportunities outside of high school, including long-time girlfriend, senior Kani Holmes.

The thing that makes me most proud of Dereck is how far he has come in life. He has big plans for himself after high school, and I know for a fact he is going to accomplish everything he puts his mind to,” Holmes said. “I will always be his biggest fan and biggest supporter in everything he does, and I can’t wait to see what the future holds for him!”

Dereck is taking in these last days as a senior and looking forward to striving to be the man he wants to be.

My dream is to be the best version of my self right now,” Rosalez said.

He hopes that others are inspired to do the same, and if the man with the mullet taught anyone anything, he hopes it was one, very crucial principle of life, a principle he will continue to live his life by.

Your biggest enemy is yourself,” Rosalez said. “Live your life as if nobody is watching.”