Senior Spotlight: Annabelle Anchondo

Annabelle Anchondo

Senior Annabelle Anchondo posing for a selfie.

Lexi Anchondo, Writer

Bold. 

Intelligent. 

Determined. 

Daring. 

These words describe SEHS senior Annabelle Anchondo. In the time she has been here, she has grown into a true Wolverine. Annabelle is the oldest daughter of Alisa Newton and Jose and Azucena Anchondo. Annabelle has four siblings: Alexis, Abbigail, Emir, and Camila. Annabelle was born in Colorado and moved to Texas during her sophomore year. Throughout high school, she has been involved in FFA, Sources of Strength, National Honor Society, UIL Academics, CX debate, journalism, cross country, track, StuCo, theatre, Congress, and was a basketball manager. However, the one event that has stuck out the most would be debate class. 

“When she joined debate class, it was obvious that she was really cool, and I immediately wanted to be her friend,” junior Emma Stevenson said. “Annabelle has been a huge part of my life since we became debate partners. My favorite quality about her is her persistence. It’s extremely admirable she doesn’t let anything hold her back. She finds a way for her to be right whether she is or not.” 

Annabelle’s other friends agree with this sentiment. 

“She’s shown me that life isn’t always that serious. She’s a super kind person and she knows how to have fun and joke around with people,” sophomore Marisela Rodriguez said. “She has the attitude that if she wants it, she’ll get it, and she actually goes into action about what she’s doing.” 

Students aren’t the only people Annabelle has had an impact on. 

“Annabelle makes me laugh, but at the same time, she makes me think,” English and debate coach Marlana Tanaro said.  “I can’t wait to see all the wonderful things that she will accomplish in her future.  I know that she is going to go out and do great things. My favorite thing about Annabelle is that she sets her goals high, and she is not afraid to do what she must to meet her goals.” 

Annabelle has grown a lot since she moved to Earth, and that has been noticed by peers and teachers alike.  

“When I first met Anna, she was a sophomore who had just moved here, and it was obvious from the start that she was intelligent, but she didn’t seem to have much personality,” teacher Cassi Furr said. “The Anna we all know and love now is still intelligent, but definitely not shy. She is outgoing, opinionated, hardworking, and has an impressive drive to accomplish her goals. I’ve seen her grow and accomplish so much. I’m very proud of her and know that her future is bright.” 

I want to be the voice for America and American citizens and defend the foundation that the Founding Fathers built with the Constitution. That, I think, is where my fulfillment in this life lies, and I’m so excited to envelop myself in that career.

— Senior Annabelle Anchondo

With the good times came tougher times, but Annabelle remained strong throughout her high school career.  

“When it comes to my own progress and accomplishments in school, I have everything to be proud of,” Annabelle said. “I’ve worked really hard to get to where I’m at, and I sacrificed so much to achieve the things I have. All the tears, breakdowns, frustration, and time I dedicated was 100% worth it, and I’d do it all again if I had the opportunity to.” 

She has made many goals throughout high school, but only one for the future. 

“I only have one goal for myself as I leave high school and approach my future, and that is to strive to be the best version of myself that I can be and do whatever it takes to fulfill that,” Annabelle said. “Heading into the next level of my education, I have to be willing to make sacrifices and make decisions that aid my overall success. If I want to be successful in this life, I need to be my best self, whether that be with kindness, faith, or the humble steps to success. If I don’t do that, then I’ll feel unaccomplished.”

Annabelle has made many friends along the way, and each of them cherish her as much as she does them. 

“She cares about a lot of different things, and she tries her hardest,” sophomore Braileigh Goe said.  

Annabelle plans to attend Texas State University in the fall of 2023 to pursue a degree in political science. After obtaining that degree, she plans to immediately head into law school and obtain her law degree to become a constitutional lawyer. 

“After all of the careers in a multitude of fields I’ve considered and debated upon, I’ve finally found the career that I think I was always meant to do, and that is being a constitutional lawyer,” Annabelle said.  “I want to be the voice for America and American citizens and defend the foundation that the Founding Fathers built with the Constitution. That, I think, is where my fulfillment in this life lies, and I’m so excited to envelop myself in that career.” 

Annabelle’s inspiration comes from part of her family.  

“When it comes to my academics and everyday life, my inspiration will always be my hero growing up, and that was my grandpa,” Annabelle said. “He was the first person to teach me the importance in my education and really support me in everything I do. His kindness and humble nature will always be my inspiration and making him proud will forever be my motivation.”

People are a motivator towards Annabelle’s happiness.  

“The main thing that will always make me the happiest is my loved ones. My family and friends are what make every single memory and moment worth it,” Annabelle said. “They bring a smile to my face, they bring out my laughter, they encourage me to be my silly self and joke around and have fun, and they make life’s hardest moments easier because you’re walking a journey with people who bring out the best in you.” 

The high school experience is going to be different when Annabelle graduates, for her peers and teachers. 

Senior Annabelle Anchondo excited for graduation, caught within this picture. (Annabelle Anchondo)

“I will definitely miss seeing Annabelle at SEHS in the future, but I am proud to see Annabelle graduate,” biology teacher Melissa Ramon said. “She is achieving another goal and moving onto the next challenge.  I wish her the best and know that she will do great things….and I will finally accept her Facebook friend request (after graduation).” 

Annabelle is aware that she is very gifted and doesn’t plan to waste her talents. 

“God gifted me with the intelligence that I possess, and I have worked too hard to just throw it away by not being the best that I can be,” Annabelle said. 

Annabelle is not going to let anything slow her down or prevent her from being the woman she aspires to be. 

“At the end of the day, I want to be able to look in the mirror and see myself as a person who didn’t let challenge, hardship, or her personal encounters affect the success and life she wanted,” Annabelle said. “I want to be able to see a person who loved people with everything she had in her, put every ounce of her being into her academics and career, and got up every morning with intentions of kindness and God’s workings.”