National Honors Society: Building Springlake-Earth, One Leader at a Time.

Grace McIver

Featured: NHS graduation regalia and the four pillars of the organization.

Grace McIver, Writer

National Honor Society has been founded and constructed in high schools across the United States since 1921. Its founders designed such an organization to include students who are exemplary in four areas: leadership, scholarship, character, and service. Springlake-Earth has proudly recognized students that exhibit such attributes and made them a part of NHS to continue the demonstration of these four pillars.

“Being in the NHS has shown me how to be the best role model and leader I can be,” senior Annabelle Anchondo said. 

Teaching the future of our society principles such as leadership and service are skills everyone should learn. 

“Learning to be a leader is a great part of being in this organization,” junior Sydney Furr said. 

NHS has many ideas and plans on how to give back to the community they call theirs. 

“My goal for NHS members is to make a difference in the community instead of simply being recognized at induction and graduation,” NHS sponsor Gwen Parish said. 

In light of this, it is important to know the four pillars: scholarship, leadership, service, and character.  

“As a sponsor, I see and value the importance of all four selection criteria and have an opportunity to instill them into the students,” Parish said. 

Parish, Anchondo, and Furr all recognized that being a part of the NHS has given them a chance to help and give back to the community around them.  

“Having opportunities to make our community better is something I enjoy doing,” said Furr.  

Having the community’s back is one of the most crucial things NHS members are taught.  

“NHS members are the leaders of the school, so if the Wolverine Nation needs help, we’ll always be there for them,” Furr said.