Two Big Wins to End District Travel Games

Yearbook

Senior Kaden Castillo gets a fast break layup

Sayler Beerwinkle, Editor

Friday night, the varsity basketball teams traveled to Hart to compete in the last district game on the road. The Lady Wolverines final score was 63-33, beating the Lady Horns by 30 points. Also, the Wolverines brought home another win. The final score was 92-37. This week, the boys and girls will have two home games against Anton and Kress. 

“It’s crazy to think that that was our last away game until playoffs,” senior Evan Deleon said. “We had a good game and won by a lot. Everyone scored, too which is always fun.” 

Deleon had 20 points, 10 assists and three rebounds. Senior Trace Goodman had a good scoring game totaling 17 points and two rebounds.  

“There were three of us who had a double-double, Kaden, Keshan and I, so I thought that was cool,” Deleon said. “Not very often does that happen.” 

Seniors Kaden Castillo and Keshan Holmes put up double-digits in the contest. Holmes had 15 points, 10 rebounds. While Castillo tallied 14 points and 10 assists. 

“I was proud of everyone’s effort in the game,” Deleon said. “We showed up ready to play and the score and stats show.” 

Sophomore JJ Jarmillo caught some passes to have 11 points and seven boards. Junior Alex Alvarez had six points, four rebounds and three assists. Senior Joshua Samaron added five points, one assist, and one steal. Also, junior Micah Sanchez and sophomore Isaiah Tovar dropped in a bucket for two points. 

“We take on Anton, Kress, Amherst and Cotton Center before the playoffs,” Deleon said. “We are looking to have a big run once we finish district.” 

Each Lady Wolverine was successful in their own way. They held the Lady Horns to 16 less points than the first time they played them. 

Senior Sayler Beerwinkle led the team with 27 solid points and grabbed 19 rebounds. Sophomore Taytum Goodman dropped in 15 points and eight assists. Additionally, junior Halee Toscano netted six points and six rebounds. 

“The game went very well for us, I thought,” senior Mahalia Delgado said. “I was fouled as soon as we got possession of the ball, so I knew it was going to be a scrappy game on their side.” 

Delgado was 100% from the free throw line, where she scored her four total points. She also had three rebounds and a couple of deflections. 

Sophomore Sydney Furr while a teammate shoots a pair of free throws (Yearbook)

“I did not miss a free throw, and I shot all four early in the first half,” Delgado said. “I was proud of myself, but we do shoot a lot of free throws in practice.” 

Sophomores Emma Samaron, Sydney Furr and Jasmine Garcia also contributed to the win. Samaron had a total of four points, four rebounds, five assists. She also had two blocks on Hart’s leading scorer. Furr dropped in a bucket giving her two points, four rebounds and two assists. Garcia had three points in the 30-point win. Freshman Rylie Furr also knocked down a short-corner shot.

“Everyone went out on the court and made something happen,” Delgado said. “It was a good win for us and now we have three more home games to dominate and before earning another district championship.”  

Fan and parent MaryAnn Castillo was proud of both teams and the outcomes. 

“The teams went over to Hart and shut them down,” Castillo said. “It was a good way to end the last road game before the playoffs hit.”