Regional Cross Country Results in State Qualifiers!

Sarah Weldon

Taytum Goodman finishing the race

Kimberly Cruz, Writer

On Monday, October 25, Varsity boys’ and girls’ cross-country teams traveled to Lubbock to compete at Mae Simmons for the regional cross-country meet. All together there were four seniors, one junior, four sophomores, and five freshmen competing. Those who competed were Taytum Goodman, Reagan Ethridge, Mahalia Delgado, Marisela Rodriguez, Emma Samaron, Aryca Ibarra, and Dede Delgado, Johua Samarron, Trace Goodman, Dorrian Samaron, Alex Alvarez, Gavin Gonzales, Nehemiah Castillo, and Dadwin Perez. Each and every runner competed great and represented Springlake-Earth High school wonderfully. 

“You know I wasn’t as nervous as I thought I was going to be,” sophomore Taytum Goodman said. “ When I got there I was ready to go.” 

Taytum Goodman competed for her second time hoping to make it to state again. Last year Taytum set a new record for the Texas 1-A cross country as a freshman. Taytum ran two miles in 10:55 at one of the hardest cross-country courses to compete at. She won the Regional cross-country meet for the 1-A girls and will compete at state on November 6. 

“I’m proud of them for getting to where they got,” Coach Jeri Paige Goodman said. “We were the number one team in the region on the girl’s side.” 

The girls’ team has worked hard and competed hard. At regionals, they just barely fell short of their spot to compete at state. Taytum finish 1st with a time of 10:55, coming in second for our team was Reagan placing 18th with a time of 13:58, coming at third for the Lady Wolverines was Emma placing 36th with a time of 14:37, coming in at fourth was Aryca placing 58th with a time of 15:03, coming in fifth was Maricela with a time of 16:02, and finishing off the race for us was Mahalia placing 98th with a time of 16:12. Due to an unfortunate event, Dede Delgado was unable to finish her race. 

“The boys had a slight chance,” Coach  Goodman said. “I felt blessed to have a team of seven. I am appreciative that we had boys like Dorri, who hadn’t ever done cross country before, run with us this year.” 

Due to the boys still being in football the only one who was able to practice every day, Alex Alverez. The boys did a great job running on Monday, coming in first for the boys was Joshua placing 14th with a time of 19:07 coming in second for our team was Trace placing 26th with a time of 19:36, coming in third was Gavin placing 43rd with a time of 20:27, coming in fourth was Dadwin placing 63rd with a time of 22:13, coming in fifth was Nehemiah placing 66th with a time of 22:19, coming in sixth was Alex placing 103rd with a time of 23:12, and finishing the race for the boys was Dorri placing 196th with a time if 25:49. The boys had a great season and worked their hardest.  

“I was definitely nervous,” Joshua said. “I wasn’t so confident that I was going to make it this year, just seeing the competition.” 

Senior Joshua Samarron has run cross country for the past 3 years of his high school career. He’s made it to state all three times. It’s special this year because this is the last time Joshua will get to compete in a high school state meet. Joshua was hoping his team would be advancing with him or at least a few teammates but unfortunately, their seasons have come to an end. Senior Trace Goodman missed the cut by just four places, but still had a great season. Good luck to Taytum and Joshua as they will compete and represent Springlake-earth High School on November 6 at the State meet. 

“We could have all made it to state as a team but it didn’t happen this year so we’ll try again next year.” Taytum said.