Cross Country Teams Conquer Mae Simmons

Jeri Goodman

Wolverine medalists from the Mae Simmons cross country meet. (Seniors Trace Goodman and Josh Samaron).

Taytum Goodman, Writer

The Wolverines and Lady Wolverines ran this Saturday at Mae Simmons.  Even though this meet had people nervous, that didn’t hold the cross country teams back.  The Lady Wolverines took 1st and the Wolverines got 5th as a team.   

I know this team has what it takes to go all the way.

— Coach Been

“To win this meet was HUGE, but there is still a lot of work to be done before District and Regionals,” Coach Jeri Been Goodman said. 

Freshman Reagan Ethridge heard a lot before the race from other runners who have experienced Mae Simmons. 

“I thought the course was harder than the ones we had done before, but it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be,” Ethridge said. 

DD Delgado has also ran this meet before, and always doesn’t want to do it again! 

“It wasn’t as bad as I say, but I think I did really good,” Delgado said. 

The meet was not like every other meet we ran this year. 

“This meet had me nervous, it’s like a mini Regional,” Coach Been said. 

Lady Wolverine Medalists from the Mae Simmons cross country meet. (sophomores Taytum Goodman and Dede Delgado) (Jeri Goodman)

When the Lady Wolverines were told their results, they spoke out on how they felt. 

“As a freshman with a team that has a chance to make it to State it feels great,” Ethridge said.  “Just knowing that all of that hard work is paying off into something great feels amazing.” 

The team still has lots of work to do.

“I know I have a great team we just need to believe in ourselves and continue to improve our times everyday,” Coach Been said. 

The team has worked, and they know have a taste of what they want. 

“I know this team has what it takes to go all the way,” Coach Been said.