Teacher Spotlight: Sheila Johnson

1st Grade teacher, Sheila Johnson

Lifetouch

1st Grade teacher, Sheila Johnson

Sayler Beerwinkle, Editor

Former S-E graduate just couldn’t stay away. After teaching in different places, she came back to where it all started. 

Sheila Johnson is the only first grade teacher in the elementary building. She was raised in Earth and graduated from Springlake-Earth ISD. Mrs. Johnson is married to Fred and they have two children, Jessica and Adam. Jessica is married to Justin and they three kids; Jenny, Jaxon and Jayci. Adam is married to Julie and his daughter is named Leddy; they live in Arnett, Oklahoma. 

“I have been married to Fred for 45 years,” Johnson said. “He is retired, now.” 

After high school, she went to three different colleges to find her right fit. 

“I graduated from Springlake,” Johnson said. “I went to college at South Plains, University of Oklahoma and Texas Tech.” 

Her daughter and family live on the outside of Lubbock, so she is able to see her grandkids often.

“Jessica teaches at Idalou and Justin works for United Supermarkets,” Johnson said. “The kids all go to school at Idalou.” 

Once her children were old enough to attend school, she realized she needed a job that would work to accommodate them. 

“When the kids were young, I needed a job,” Johnson said. “I chose teaching so I could have holidays and summers with my kids.” 

Johnson has been teaching for 32 years, at different locations. 

“The first year I taught third grade at Amherst,” Johnson said. “The next ten years I taught at Springlake-Earth. I taught Title I, first, fourth, and fifth grade.” 

After teaching in junior high at S-E, she started teaching in Enid Oklahoma, but quickly returned to the great state of Texas. 

“I taught seventh grade, Title I reading, grades 1-6 and grades 2-5,” Johnson said. “We returned to Texas and I taught at Ralls for a year. Finally, I came home to Springlake-Earth and am currently teaching 1st grade.”

She has a few hobbies that she does outside of school.

“I like sewing, making quilts for my kids,” Johnson said. “I also like working in the yard and growing flowers. I enjoy being outside.”

Sophomore Taytum Goodman knows Mrs. Johnson, but never had the privilege to be taught by her.

“I never had her in class, but she is a really nice lady,” Goodman said. “She is always supportive of me and my extracurricular activities.”

Johnson is fond of being around the kids and teaching them new skills each and every day. 

“The most exciting thing is to see kids improve and learn new things no matter how big or small,” Johnson said. “With the students there is never a dull minute in class.”