The CX Debate teams compete at State

SE CX Debate competitors with their coach at the State meet. (Left to right: Annabelle Anchondo, Oscar Flores, Marlana Tanaro, Lynnsey Mahler, Emma Stevenson)

Taytum Goodman, Writer

The Wolverine CX debate teams traveled to Austin last week and had fun and success. 

They took three team pairs. Lynnsey Mahler and Oscar Flores, Emma Stevenson and Annabelle Anchondo, and Tyler Tanaro and Nehemia Castillo. After district, team Anchondo-Stevenson was not sure if they were going to make it to state with team Mahler-Flores, but after a lot of talking to the state speech director, they were on their way to Austin.  

“I love being the debate coach. I too debated in high school, and I remember my excitement going to state and advancing to the second day.  I love giving this experience back to the next generation,” debate coach Marlana Tanaro said. 

The debate teams were all proud of their performances. 

“Considering that it was our first year, and we made it to state we did pretty good,” Stevenson said. 

Before the CX teams made it to state they competed in district against each other. 

“At district, two teams make it to state. Lynnsey and Oscar got first, and Annabelle and I got 2nd making it to state. Until we found out that they had changed the rule that if there is only one school that participates in the competition only first makes it to state. So, after finding that out Annabelle and I wrote letters to a lady asking her to allow us to go to state. She finally replied to me but basically said she didn’t care! Three days later she replied to Annabelle and said she will change the rule,” said Stevenson. 

Debate is not only fun for the 3 teams but also for their coach. 

I love watching students having to think deeply on their feet and giving great answers.  I love teaching strategies, but I love even more when they teach me new things.  I live for the light bulb moment, and I see this in my debaters every day.   I feel like these kids are my own kids.

— Marlana Tanaro, speech & debate coach

“I love watching students having to think deeply on their feet and giving great answers.  I love teaching strategies, but I love even more when they teach me new things.  I live for the light bulb moment, and I see this in my debaters every day.   I feel like these kids are my own kids,” Mrs. Tanaro said. 

At state, the debate teams go through 4 rounds on day 1. 

“Emma and I lost the first three and won the last one. For the 1A category, you have to win two rounds and have so many speaker points to go on to the next round and we did not make that,” Anchondo said. 

Team Mahler and Flores made it to the next round. 

“We did really good at state since it was our first year competing at that level. We broke to finals and got knocked out at the quarter-final round on a two-man decision,” Mahler said. 

The teams also had some fun while they were there. 

“We went and ate hibachi and Raising Canes and sat by the pool until three in the morning,” Stevenson said. 

The CX debate teams had fun practicing all the way up to state even though there were some conflicts. 

“I am so proud of my debaters,” Mrs. Tanaro said.