Seniors Make Top of Texas Cover!

Sarah Weldon

Seniors Kaden Castillo, Sayler Beerwinkle, and Evan Deleon ready for the basketball photoshoot.

Annabelle Anchondo, Writer

Last year both the girls’ and boys’ basketball teams had a stellar season. Both the Wolverines and Lady Wolverines were District 4-1A champions. The boys went on to be Area Champions and then advance to the 1A Regional Quarterfinals. With such an amazing year under their belts, seniors and varsity players Sayler Beerwinkle, Evan Deleon, and Kaden Castillo were chosen to be featured on the cover of Top of Texas. For Coach CJ Castillo, it was a great honor. 

“According to someone who’s worked here at the school, they have never had two boys be on the cover. They’ve normally had one, so having two kids on there is just an honor to have both of them,” Castillo said. “Really it just shows their hard work and what they do on the floor and on the courts.” 

Castillo has been coaching both Evan Deleon and Kaden Castillo for six years. He has had the opportunity to see each player grow up and improve each year. Castillo was very proud of Evan for embracing his role as a point guard. 

“He just knows how to get the job done you know whether it’s inside or outside. Very smart. [He] has a great basketball IQ,” Coach Castillo said. “I don’t see anybody stopping him. Whatever he does, he makes it work, so I’m very proud of him.” 

Deleon was Most Valuable Player last year. On average, he was scoring 18 points per game as a point guard. 

“I have never been on the magazine before, but I knew of it because my boy Diego would be on it every year!” Deleon said. “When my coach told me I was going to be on the magazine, I was surprised because they been sleeping on me the past few years.” 

Sayler Beerwinkle has been on the cover multiple consecutive years. 

“This is Sayler’s third year to be on the cover, and I think it’s deserving,” Coach Jeri Been Goodman said. “I’m excited. She deserves to be on the cover.” 

Last year, Beerwinkle was the District MVP, and she was listed as an All-Region and All-State player. She was also named Most Valuable Player for the Lady Wolverine’s team. Last season Beerwinkle reached an outstanding 1,000 high school career points. 

“I was excited to find out I was chosen again this year. It makes me realize that there are people out there that notice my effort I put in during the season,” Beerwinkle said. “Also my team’s effort because I wouldn’t be able to be as successful as I am without the help of my teammates.” 

Seniors Sayler Beerwinkle, Kaden Castillo, and Evan Deleon posing for basketball photoshoot with players from other districts. (Sarah Weldon)

As successful as her and her team were, Coach Been still hopes to see improvement from Beerwinkle this season. 

“I mean overall she was definitely the MVP of our district. I think she still needs to get stronger at the post to help us get a little farther on along,” Coach Been said. “I mean I’m pleased with her performance, but I’m expecting her to step it up a notch this year.” 

For Kaden Castillo, this was his first year ever being on the cover as well. Kaden had a great season last year. He was named the District MVP out of a seven-team district, and he was Offensive Most Valuable Player. 

“It was pretty cool because it’s my first time being recognized for basketball,” Kaden Castillo said. 

Coach Castillo thinks that Kaden has really come a long way. Coach believes Kaden truly took up on the challenge of stepping up his game last year. Not only was Castillo impressed as Kaden’s coach, but being Kaden’s dad brought an even greater feeling. 

“As a dad, I know what he does. He leaves, and he comes up here to the school. He’s up here for at least an hour or two hours. There’s been times he’s just had a hall light for a light to shoot in the gym,” CJ said. “I just know the countless hours of his hard work, and it was heartfelt for me to see him on there because I know how hard he’s worked for this. He just continues to show me that he can do anything he puts his mind to. I’m definitely proud of him. Very proud of him.” 

Kaden, Evan, and Sayler are all seniors this year meaning this will be the last basketball season they play at Springlake-Earth. All of them have plans and goals for their final season at SEHS. 

“My goals for this season are to win it all. It’s been my goal every season. I am going to have to show out if I wanna play ball at the next level and I am planning on doing so,” Deleon said. 

It also brought a variety of emotions for the three seniors.. 

“I don’t want it to end. I’ve been playing with Mahalia, Micky, Halee, and Taytum since we were little, and I’m not ready to be done with it yet!” Beerwinkle said. “So I’m going to do my best to soak it all in and enjoy every second of those long tiring practices, long bus rides, and games!”