Walking In Christ

Three+Crosses

Pixabay Free Images

Three Crosses

Sayler Beerwinkle, Editor

Recently, a student-led bible study has been introduced to the high school. Sophomore Lynnsey Mahler had the idea and presented it to principal Cindy Furr before making a sign-up sheet. A few students have attended the first bible study, including senior Katy Jones and junior Jenna Bridges. These studies take place during lunch, every other Thursday, in teacher Cassi Furr’s classroom. 

“We have all been told forever that something needs to change in Springlake-Earth,” Mahler said. “That something needs to happen to bring our students back to God.”

Mahler wasn’t sure she could make an impact on the student body.

“I never thought I could make that change, but I finally got tired of hearing it,” Mahler said. “I met with my pastor and Mrs. Furr and we produced a plan.”

Cindy Furr is proud of her coming up with this student-led activity.

I do not know if my words will have any real impact, but it would not sit right with me if I did not try everything I could to live out my mission.

— Lynnsey Mahler, bible study leader & sophomore

“She had a plan in place, and she had her idea of how she wanted to go,” Furr said. “She handled herself well in organizing and setting it up. She went through the right channels.”

Jones thinks positively of the new addition to the high school.  

“I joined it because I think it’s good as a student body to praise our Father,” Jones said. 

Bridges believes these bible studies will help her grow as a person. 

“I decided to attend Lynnsey’s bible study as a way to grow with God and become closer to him.” Bridges added.  

Jones also plans to take part in leading a study. 

“The first time, I was just a listener,” Jones said. “But I probably will teach a few lessons.” 

Also, this is a way for others to get to know God, in a different setting than just at church. 

“I think everyone’s goal who joined the bible study is to reach out to the kids who need a better relationship with God,” Bridges mentioned. 

Mahler’s idea is a way for students to learn more about God. 

“We really want to bring God more into the school and bring others close to Him,” Jones added.  

There is not anything specific that they plan to accomplish, besides bringing students closer to the Lord.

“I do not know if my words will have any real impact,” Mahler said. “But it would not sit right with me if I did not try everything I could to live out my mission.”